Table Of Contents
Hello, and welcome to my trip journal. What started out as a six-month-tour turned into a life altering three-year journey from 2000 to 2003. I started writing this trip journal as a way to tell my friends and family where I was going and what I was doing, and it expanded from there into quite a long story. At the moment, it's about 400 printed pages. This journal consists of three parts:
- The narrative contains a description of the trip plus my observations and opinions. It also has some optional parts such as the history of the region and other random thoughts as well as a selection of the best photos.
- The Photo Gallery contains more photos. I published about 1/4 of the photos I took.
- From the beginning, I've sent out emails to people on an email notification list. There's no list any more, but I collected all the emails into one place for those who started late into the story. The emails had quick impresions and status reports, and I generally updated the journal for each country a few months after I left.
There are a few ways to read the journal.
- If you just want to read the journal without the notification emails, go to the Narrative Introduction, and as you finish each page click the Next link on the top or bottom of the page to continue.
- If you want to read everything I've sent out in the order I sent it, then go to the Notification Email Introduction and start reading. Follow each link to the pages as they were published. You don't really have to follow through this way, but if you do you'll see everything as it appeared as I did the ride. If you've finished reading the narrative, you can look at the places I've been that I haven't written about yet by reading the last page or two of notifications.
- If you just want to look at the photos, go to the Photo Gallery Introduction and follow the links on each page.
- If you're a return visitor, use the index below to get back to any page you want to find.
All pages have a "Contents" link at the top that will bring you back here, and most have Next and Previous links to follow through the pages in order.
I'm very happy to hear from anyone that's found this page and has anything to say. Feel free to comment, agree, disagree, correct me or anything you like. I always write back to people that write to me, and hearing from people that randomly found my page is one of my favorite things. Send an email to
You may notice that this page is very plain. That's deliberate. While I was on the trip many of the people I met along the way had very bad internet connections and English wasn't their first language, so I wanted to make it as easy as I could for them.